Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Re: Printed word, HA!

Actually, people do read the printed word, just not as it used to be printed.

OK, that probably didn't make sense. But reading Matt's previous post and our friend Mo's post on WMUR, plus watching 'MUR last night, reminded me of the line of the night at a former co-worker's going-away bash from another newspaper a couple months back.

As we journalists are wont to do, we were commiserating over who's on the slowest-sinking lifeboat in the industry. Then one person blurted out, "Where's WMUR gonna get their news when we (newspapers) go under?"

This was driven home last night when not 1, but 2 stories that were in the early news blocks of the 11 p.m. news were the SAME STORIES WE HAD REPORTED ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY!

Compare:
-This story (click here) was posted on the New Hampshire Union Leader first on Friday morning on its Web site, then an updated version went up on Saturday.
-This story (click here) was posted last night on WMUR's Web site and led their 11 p.m. broadcast.

This story on the UL Web site was posted on Saturday, too, but "NewsNine" reported it last night. (The stories about two previous incidents involving frats at UNH were posted about the same time by both of us, so let's call it a draw.)

I recognize many may question the newsworthiness of these stories, especially with their tabloid bent ("Nude students!" "'Lewd' behavior!"). And Lord knows, WMUR has beaten my paper and other papers on stories -- stories that matter more.

But they illustrate a point: It does stick in my craw that I often feel as if I am watching the front page of my newspaper being read on the evening news. And when it's two or three days later, it pisses me off more.

Look, really, I don't have anything against WMUR. I want to stress that. They have a job to do, and for the most part, they do it well. And let's face it, it's just as easy to bash the print media as it is the broadcast media.

A side note: I interned at 'MUR in another lifetime and have nothing but good things to say about nearly everyone I worked with there, though only two on-air staffers remain from my stint in the early '90s. (and yes, I would say good things about both of them, too. They're pros.).

But I have to wonder where TV news will be without print, not only as an alternative, competitive news source, but also as a source for news, period.

-JDE2

1 comment:

Maureen Milliken said...

TV news will definitely outlive print -- but with even less content than it has now. As I write this I'm watching Channel 9's 6 p.m. report. What was their top stor? Day 3 of the switch to DTV infomercial that they are apparently going to run until February. Still without any news value. They even have a countdown.
One difference between the demise of newspapers and the demise of TV news - TV will manage to evolve and survive. People would still rather stare slack-jawed at a glowing screen than read something.
They really don't notice whether that glowing screen is offering them anything or not.