Friday, November 7, 2008

Bad news comes in threes

Someone once said there were two unemployment rates that matter: 100% (employed) and 0% (unemployed). If that's so, lots more people have moved into the 0 column this year: http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/07/news/economy/jobs_october/index.htm?postversion=2008110711

But the proof of the old adage that bad news comes in threes? After being told my services were no longer required last week, my Pops got popped on Wednesday and my father-in-law got the bad news today. Actually, in the final case, it's that his company and job are moving to Texas. He has politely declined to join them. So in December he'll join the rest of us jobless types.

Again I can't complain. My friends at The Union Leader have thrown me a part-time lifeline. Many other folks aren't so lucky. But now, more than ever, I reaaaaaaaaally hope the Obama fever spreading the nation shows itself in a few more jobs created. I can think of three places to start.

-- MJM

1 comment:

Maureen Milliken said...

Didn't Obama say his first order of business was to save all the newspapers?
I'm pretty sure he said that.