Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thought for the day

Imagine you were frozen at the turn of the century (21st century, not the 20th). Say, Jan. 1, 2002. And you were thawed out on Wednesday.

Here's what you would have learned happened in that nearly seven-year span:

- The Red Sox have won not one, but TWO World Series. . . and the Yankees haven't won any.
- The Patriots have won three Super Bowls and came within 30 seconds (not to mention one dropped INT and one amazing play) of a fourth and an undefeated season.
- The Celtics acquired two All-Stars/HOF candidates and won Banner No. 17.
- The stock market rallied, then crashed. Again.
- Oh, and we've elected an African-American President. By a huge margin.

Which of these would you have deemed most likely to happen? Least likely to happen? What unbelievable stuff can we add to this list?

Seriously, an African-American President was conceivable, but unlikely even five years ago. And here we are.

-JDE2

3 comments:

Maureen Milliken said...

I would go with the Red Sox as least likely.
Obama second least.
It's been a surreal six years.
And don't forget the complete, absolute demise of the newspaper business. Dropping like a set of keys.
Not that I'm obsessed or anything.

Anonymous said...

I work with a guy who is a devoted Phillies fan and Republican. He told me today with that bemused grin we all wore in 2004, that he didn't care the Republicans got smoked. The Phillies are 'xxx'ing World Champions.

So much for Country First. I thought about it and realized if the gods in charge of such things told me I could have 1 of 3 things in 2008 (another Patriots Super Bowl title, another Red Sox World Series title or Obama winning the White House) I would have chosen Obama.

I'm not that noble. I'm not sure I would have made the same choice on Jan. 1, 2002.

Maureen Milliken said...

I agree with you -- if I had to pick one it would definitely be Obama, hands down.
Actually, except for those heady days after the 2004 win, I think I enjoyed being a Red Sox fan a little more before they won. If that sounds fxxxxd up, it's being a fan for the 30-plus years prior to that that did it to me.
But I will never, ever, feel that way about Obama winning. Ever.